Monday, January 10, 2011

Tacky the Penguin

Last week, we began our unit on penguins and have read many nonfiction penguin books.  This week, we will read about my favorite fiction penguin, TACKY.  I have five Tacky the Penguin books and I love them all.

After reading the original book, Tacky the Penguin, we will fill out a character chart using adjectives to describe Tacky.

Next we will fill out a report card for Tacky.  We will discuss the words, uniqueness, braveness, and seriousness. We will complete this activity together and talk about why we think Tacky deserves the grades we give him.


After reading all of the Tacky books and discussing the similarities and differences, we will fill out this book comparison chart.

We will also work on this Reader's Theater throughout the week. 
(I did NOT create this...I just retyped it).

After reading about "Brown Bag Book Clubs" on www.thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com I knew I had to try it.  I decided I will call it "Snack and Share" and this week, I am going to have the students meet and discuss Tacky, of course.  Here are my discussion questions.


If you are interested, here are some general forms that I will be using to staple on the bags for "Snack and Share."

I would enjoy hearing what you found useful.  If you have any other ideas for Tacky the Penguin, I would love for you to share.  "Tacky was an odd bird, but a nice bird to have around."

13 comments:

aes17 said...

Your documents for Tacky are great! I am having a "Tacky Day" on Wednesday and can't wait to use a few of them!

FirstGradeEscapades said...

We've been out of school for three weeks and with last nights snow it looks like we'll be out the rest of the week. I can't wait to use these when we get back. I did a penguin unit a couple of years ago and will definitely revive it this year thanks to you and Babbling Abby!

NYCecelia said...

I love the bubble map for Tacky! Thank you for sharing.
Cecelia
http://ilove1stgrade.blogspot.com/

kmsaylor said...

These are cute! Thanks for sharing!

Keita said...

This is great! I just bought some Tacky books. This will go nicely. Thanks!

Danielle said...

I just found your blog. It looks great. These activities are so cute. I just purchased some Tacky books to read so I can't wait to try this activities with them!

Thanks

Danielle
learningandlaughing.blogspot.com

Mrs. Schoenwalder's First Grade Class said...

Love,love,love these! Thank you so much for sharing! I read about the "brown Bag Book Clubs" too and I can't wait to give it all a try! Good luck to you and your great ideas! :)

ashly2499 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashly2499 said...

I've never read Tacky- I will have to hunt this book down! Thanks for sharing your great resources!


I have a brand new first grade teaching blog!
Check out my unit on arctic animals:

http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

~*~Ash~*~

Teacher said...

Thanks so much for the snack sack templates.

Jennifer
kinderpond.com

Cher said...

Thanks!

First Grade said...

Jodi, your blog is just full of awesomeness! Think I just "penned" a new word. Thank you for all the ideas, activities, and freebies.

jenngradeone said...

Hi Jodi,

I love your Tacky the Penguin ideas...I can't seem to download them!? Can you help?

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...