Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kindergarten Visit

During Kindergarten orientation, the Kindergarten teachers send their students to the 1st grade classrooms for about an hour.  This is a great way for the Kindergarteners to see the 1st grade classrooms and they kind of get an idea of what to expect for the next year.  It's also a wonderful way to let the 1st graders shine.  They feel so grown up and important when the Kindergarteners come to visit.
During this time, I like to have my 1st graders perform a Reader's Theater to the book "The Night Before First Grade."
About a week before the performance, I read the book to my students.  Then I break the book into sections and we start practicing our lines.  They always do a great job.  Click here for the print out of the story I use for the reader's theater script.
Something else I love doing with my students is having them make a book to the Kindergarteners.  They write "What You Need to Know About 1st Grade."  I bind all of their writing into a book and pass it around to the Kindergarten teachers to read to their classes.  You can download the book by clicking on the picture.





2 comments:

JenniferL said...

I have never heard of this book!!!! My kids LOVE reader's theater so they will be all over this bad boy! Thank you for sharing!

rowdyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Mrs. Lochridge said...

What a cute idea! Will have to check it out.

First Grade Factory

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...