Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Foolish Tortoise

We continued our Eric Carle author study by reading The Foolish Tortoise. This book has a lot of great vocabulary for 1st graders.  Before reading, I quickly discussed some of the interesting words we would hear.  Then while I was reading the book, I made sure that the students knew what the words meant.  After reading this book, we talked about how the tortoise felt in the beginning and what he found out during the book.  Then we made tortoises.  I didn't have a pattern for this so I just let the students free hand a turtle with brown paper.
This student did a great job.  Hers was so much better than mine.
 Then the students cut out the words of all the things the tortoise was afraid of after he took off his shell.  They glued the words onto the turtle body.
 Finally, each student cut out a shell from green paper and glued on the word PROTECTION to represent that the tortoises shell provided him with protection from all of these things.  I stapled the shell at the top to create a flap that could be pulled up.
 You can download the attachment with all of the words by clicking HERE.  {The vocabulary words that we discussed are included at the top of the paper.  You can use these however you wish.}

2 comments:

Kala said...

Just wanted to say I have been following your blog for awhile but don't comment. I love your blog and I wanted to say thank you for still posting some freebies! You have such great ideas.

I purchased some of your month vocab packets and my students love them. I can really see an improvement and it's only been a month. They are also using the "power words" as well which is amazing since I have only 4 native English speakers and the rest English is their second or third language. I just wanted to say thank you !!!

Jodi said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment and I am SO HAPPy that the monthly packets are useful for you!

Jodi

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...