Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Helping Parents Help Their Children

I'm revisiting this post for Throw Back Thursday.
This is my second most view post, so I thought it would be a good one to share again.  It has been shared on Pinterest over and over again.  It's a good resource to hand out to parents at the beginning of the year.

I feel that I am very fortunate as a parent to also be a teacher.  For the most part, I have a pretty good idea of how to help my child succeed in school.  Of course, we will have many bumps in the road, but being a teacher, I at least have a fairly good idea of how to help with school work.  Unfortunately, many parents that we come into contact with, do not know how to help their child in school.  I was reminded of this again today when I had a conversation with one of the parents of a student in my class. 
She was asking what she could do to help her child at home.  She told me that she never felt like a good reader in school and no one from her family had ever gone to college, so she wasn't real confident in how to help her child with reading or math.  She told me that even though she wasn't good at school, she wanted her child to be smart and make something for herself.  Broke my heart!    It doesn't matter your race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, EVERY parent wants the best for their child.
We are having a 1st grade parent meeting this Thursday and I will be giving these handouts to my student's parents to give them ideas of how to help their child at home.  

Click to download


I'd love to hear any other ways that you help your student's parents help their children.
Pin It

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Very easy and simple for parents to follow. It is always humbling to have a parent admit that they want more for their child than they did! I can't wait to share these with my team. Thanks again!

Andi said...

These are great! Thank you for sharing!!

During some of our parent nights, we break the families into groups for a make and take night. We'll model some activities they can do at home with their child and then they make their own set and practice playing it together.

We have found that they appreciate help with math just as much as they want reading help.

Dru said...

Thank you for your amazing blog. I have enjoyed using so many of your ideas. I have not taught 1st for a long time and it is refreshing to have so many great ideas at my finger tips. I love the fun and learning your ideas create in the classroom.

Sarah Stoll said...

I am getting a message that I don't have permission to view the document :(

Teachers Cannot Live By Apples Alone

Anna Brantley said...

You're awesome for sharing these valuable resources!!! I LOVE them!! THANK YOU!!!


Anna

Mrs. Lochridge said...

Thank you!! Just in time for Open House. You rock!

✩Alicia
First Grade Factory

April Kiker said...

Our math curriculum has numerous games. When we can we send a game home with the students to play with their parents.

ismail123 said...

I have a lot of blogs and I am also thinking of turning them all into dofollow blogs. It helps to have good comments and get vistitors into my blogs.web hosting


website hosting india

gaurav said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Very easy and simple for parents to follow. It is always humbling to have a parent admit that they want more for their child than they did! I can't wait to share these with my team. Thanks again!
Outdoor playground equipment

Chrissy said...

Thank you!! I've started to sift through my options for handouts at conferences. These are wonderful!

Love the "pin it" button at the bottom of the post, too.
:-)ReadWriteSing

Christy's Kinders said...

Awesome parent letter and very well timed. Mine are next week. Thanks for sharing.
Christy
crowens@fairpoint.net

Kindergarten Fever said...

These are great. I will for sure use these.

Thanks!

Eva Whitaker said...

Love these! Thank you!! :)

Amy Lee said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Andrea Lowery said...

Thank you! I love these questions! I plan on sending them home at the beginning of the year and again at parent teacher conferences.

http://groovyeducator.blogspot.com/

Hello! said...

I would love to use this but I also need it in Spanish. Any ideas?

Julian Levi said...

Thanks for this awesome post... I really like this..!
baby shower presents

Erin B said...

These are great! Just found them on Pinterest, and saved them for use in my new primary classroom in the fall! Thanks for sharing! :)

~Erin
Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...