Saturday, September 24, 2011

Lesson Planning

A couple of years ago while I had a student teacher, I organized all of my year's lessons and materials into a huge binder.  It took a lot of time, but has saved me a HUGE amount of time since then.  Here's how it worked.  I print off my lesson plans for the week, three whole punch them and place them in my binder.  Behind the lessons, I place a sheet protector with one copy of each thing I will need copied for that week.  This way I can just take out my sheet protector and walk it down to the copy room with me. 
Here are my lessons:


Here are my materials in a sheet protector located behind my lessons:
One copy of my morning work is there for the week along with one copy of anything else I would need for that week.  Here is another example:

You can see that this one also has some examples that I will use during this week.
Now, when I first organized this, I didn't have all of the examples and all of the extras in it.  However, as I went through the year and continued adding, my binder looked like this:
Are you kidding me?!  This was a monster on my desk.  No way was this going to work.  So, this year I decided to have a binder for each month instead.  Much smaller and manageable.  Plus, if I want to take it home, I can.  {Unlike that monstrocity above.}
Click on the picture below to download a cover page for each monthly binder.

On another note, I am working like crazy this weekend to finish up my October Fluency Packet and hope to have it posted sometime next week.  I've never come down this close to crunch time on these before.  I have them all written, it's just a matter of getting them typed up and ready to go.  {Excuse time:  I started doing Crossfit.  If you've never heard of it and you enjoy being challenged when you work out, I would look into it.  You can google it or watch some videos on YouTube.  It is seriously, hands down, the BEST workout ever!  I am absolutely beat when I get home.}
But, seriously, I am working on them and will have them ready for you as soon as possible.  Here is what to expect:
Have a great weekend!

18 comments:

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

Love the planning binder! Such a great idea...thanks for sharing!
Ms.A

Mrs. D said...

Love the cover pages! I need to do this. :)

http://thesilverlininginteaching.blogspot.com/

Miss Trayers said...

Definitely a great reminder how much time is saved by being organized!

Kinderpond said...

Holy buckets! I couldn't even lift that binder!



Jennifer

Miss J said...

Thanks for sharing!!

Miss J
Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

Amy Dodd said...

What a great idea with the lesson plans!! I think I may start doing this!

Amy
Spotted in Second Grade

Tracy said...

Looks like mine...I have 2that big. I LOVE have the things I need to be copied right there, but I don't use protector sheets but the Velcro close binder pockets. Takes up more room in a binder, but they are more durable.

Laura624 said...

Awesome organization idea...you have inspired me!! I'm gonna have to try this in my classroom too :) Thanks for sharing!

Erika said...

I really loved this! I'm a student teacher now and I'm in the process of collecting things but had no idea how to organize it all. Is there any way you can send me the template you use for your lesson plans?
erika.l.fernandez2012@gmail.com

THANKS!
http://fernandezsfirsts6.blogspot.com

nshade21 said...

Great Idea!! I keep my lesson plans from year to year and wonder "what worksheet I am talking about there?" I think you have inspired me too! Thanks for sharing the binder covers too!

Jen R. said...

Love the organization idea! Coming back down to 2nd, I'm remembering how much big crafty things we do :) yay! lol...
so Do you keep your lessons from year to year then? (Ergo, the sheet protector with all your copies come in handy, year to year)? So how do you go about it when you have to mix up your plans from the yar before and take some from this week and some from that week? Do you create a new binder each year?

Annie Moffatt said...

WOW! I am so impressed!! I need to get myself organized!!

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

Amazing!!! If I'm ever in a grade level for more than one year I'm doing it :)

Mandi said...

As an elementary education student in college, that binder is a great idea! I love being organized and would love to start something like that when I begin teaching! Thanks for sharing!!

Mary Allen Tondee said...

I love your lesson plan template. Is there any way you could send it to me? I have been searching for on I like for 2 years now.

Lisette said...

I am looking for a lesson plan format that is easy to follow and work with. Does anyone have one they are willing to share? You can contact me at Lisettevenegas@gmail.com

Thanks!!!!!

Susan said...

Love your organization ideas! Thank you for sharing! ♥
Susan
Kindergarten is the Best
www.kindergartenisthebest.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

I would love a copy of your plan book template. Love your blog. Awesome ideas.
Thanks
greatgradydane@hotmail.com

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...