Thursday, November 3, 2011

Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day is next week, so we've been learning about veterans this week.  We make a huge deal about Veteran's Day at our school and I am so thankful for that.  My brother is in the Air Force and I could not be more proud of him for his sacrifice to our country.  We discussed what a Veteran is and what the military does for our country.  Next, we wrote letters to veterans to thank them for their service.
Click to download

Next, we made the soldiers found in Deanna Jump's Veteran's Day Unit.


They loved these!  Tomorrow, we will be completing this Veteran's Day Booklet that I created.


It's just a quick 6 page booklet that the students will have fun doing while learning about Veteran's Day and some of the vocabulary words that are associated with Veteran's Day.  The booklet contains a word search, a crack the code, a fill in the blank comprehension reading page, and two other pages.  I have uploaded this booklet to TpT and I hope to get it uploaded to Teacher's Notebook tonight.
What are some of your favorite Veteran's Day activities?


9 comments:

Rachelle said...

Love this Jodi!!!!
-RAchelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

YAY for the Veterans. Our first graders will perform their patriotic songs for our Vets next Friday morning - can't wait!!!

We also need to remember to thank family members for their sacrifice so that the Vets could serve. My favorite book from the perspective of a boy whose mom is serving is We Were Brave, Too by Pat Brisson.

Barbara

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! My brother is a Marine, so I've had him come to talk with my classes before. I love having the students write letters to veterans. It makes a personal connection for them.

Kristen said...

Not to be a jerk, because I love that you share your great ideas, but it should be Dear Veterans, not Dear Veteran's. Simple typo, but just figured I'd point it out. Love that you take the time to share your ideas and work with the teaching community!!! Seriously, I hope this doesn't make you feel badly, I'm sure it was just an oversight.

Holly said...

Love, love, love! I'm your newest follower! :)

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Jodi said...

Oh Kristin. You are SO right!! Thank you so much for pointing this out for me. I did not catch it :( I will fix it sometime today. Thanks so much.

Jodi

Cecelia said...

Very cute ideas Jodi! I have been off track for Veteran's Day but no longer. I was searching for ideas--this is an area where the pickings have been slim on TPT. I created some but love yours, too. Thank you for sharing and God bless our veterans, esp. my daddy:)
Cecelia
http://ilove1stgrade.blogspot.com/

Literacy Teacher said...

I blogged about Veteran's Day. This post is one of my links! Thanks for sharing!

earlychildhoodteacher said...

I downloaded your "Dear Veterans" paper for my kiddos to write letters to veterans on Friday. Their letters were a big success and so cute! Check them out on my blog: Year{Six} Thanks!

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...