Saturday, November 12, 2011

Word Lists

Something new that I started doing this year was to time the students on word lists each week.  I created lists of words to go along with our phonics skill for the week.  On Monday, I time each student while he/she reads the list.  I do this mostly during morning work time, restroom breaks, or when a child finishes something early, but sometimes I have to finish up during small group time.  I record their time on their list and send it home for them to practice during the week.  I also keep track of each student's time on my class list as well. Then on Friday, I time each student again.  They LOVE to see if they can beat their score.  Here are what the lists look like:
In the box, I would write somthing like, Jack's time on November 11th was 1 min. 32 sec.
Here is the class list where I keep track of the pre and post times.
You can download these for FREE at either Teachers Pay Teachers or Teachers Notebook.
I'd love to hear if you downloaded these and found them useful :)

12 comments:

Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) said...

these are wonderful! thank you! :)

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
Ms. A
Oceans of First Grade Fun

Delighted said...

Love your blog! Thanks for sharing so much of your hard work & talent!
First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Kristin said...

Fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Delaney White said...

Thanks for sharing. I will defintely find this useful in my classroom. They always need more phonics practice to work on at home!!

Haley :) said...

Thanks for sharing! This is an awesome idea, especially to incorporate into my word study.

Haley
followingoptimism.blogger.com

Jennifer said...

Super idea!!! Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer A.

Mindy said...

Thanks so much for sharing your hard work with us!

Erika said...

Kids love trying to beat their own times. I do this with math and reading. Thanks for sharing.
2B Honey Bunch

Jennifer said...

Wow, thank you so much for sharing. I think these will be so valuable! Can't wait to start using them!

ajith nair said...

nice and cute article
4fun.in

photogirl727 said...

Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...