Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Day in My Shoes

I have been meaning to link up with Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher for a week now for her A Day in My Shoes Linky Party.
I have had a lot of fun reading other blogger's posts about a day in their shoes.  I always think it's interesting to see when their day starts, what their daily schedule is like, and what their after school life is like.  So, here it goes.  I picked Wednesday, just because it's the middle of the week.

5:20 - My alarm goes off and I immediately hit snooze.  I know I shouldn't, but I just cannot possibly drag myself out of bed the first time.

5:30 - I finally get up, grab my contact case and feel my way to the bathroom.  {I cannot see a thing without my contacts in.}  

5:40 - Shower, blow dry my hair, put on makeup, get dressed, ...

6:20 - Go downstairs, turn on the news and my computer, pack my lunch and fill up my water jug, and make a bowl of cereal.

6:30 - Time for some serious multitasking...eat my bowl of cereal, check my email and blogstalk, all while watching the morning news. {The big problem with this is that when I go upstairs and my husband asks what the weather is going to be like today, I can't even remember.  Whoops!}

6:50 - Wash my bowl, turn off the computer, turn on the Keurig and head upstairs to brush my teeth, curl my hair, and put on my jewelry. {My husband is now awake and in the shower.}

7:05 - Wake up my almost 2 year old and my 4 year old.  Get them dressed and ready to go.

7:20 - Head back downstairs, make my creamer and coffee {yes, I know I typed creamer first} to take to school, my husband gets our girls all bundled up and we head out.

7:30 - Pull up to daycare and get both girls out to drop off youngest. 

7:35 - Get my oldest back into the van to take her to Pre-K with me at my school. {I'm very lucky that my dad can come and pick her up at 11:00 and take her to daycare so she can come to our Preschool program at school.  Her teacher is wonderful!}

7:40 - Pull up at school and walk inside.  Drop off everything in my room, turn on my computer, put morning work on my student's desks, and then my daughter and I walk to the office to check in.  Come back to my room and say "Good morning" to my other 1st grade companions. 

8:00 - Send my oldest off to her classroom.  My students start coming into the room, give me their SAFARI folders, put up their backpacks, and start their morning work. 

8:15 - The tardy bell rings and our principal comes on the intercom for morning announcements, the pledge, and moment of silence.

8:30 - Reading Interventions -All the teachers, teaching assistants, special area teachers, reading teachers, etc. takes a small group of students for reading interventions.  We group students based on their reading needs.

9:05 - All the students head back to their regular classrooms.  This is when I have all of my students go to the carpet to do calendar.  During this time, we complete the calendar, do a money count, counting on the hundreds chart, number sentences, and we read a chapter from either Junie B. Jones or Ready Freddy.  We also go over our Weekly Focus on the apple chart.
9:20 - Students go back to their seats and grap their Math Notebooks out of their cubbies on their way back.  We use Cara Carroll's Math Notebooks.  Love!
9:45 - We go on a restroom break.

10:00 - Now it's time for Science or Social Studies, whichever one we are working on.  This week we were learning about Arctic Animals. We did our science experiment about blubber using Crisco, ice water, and baggies.  The students recorded their information in their Science Journals.



10:20 - Next, is our Reading Block.  During this time we use Treasures from McGraw-Hill.  We start out with our whole group lesson.  We also do our spelling and grammar for the week during this time.  We also do our Writing lesson.  This week we are working on "How to" writing lessons. 

11:30 - Small Groups and Work Stations

12:00 - Clean up for Lunch.

12:05 - 12:45 - I walk my students down to the cafeteria for lunch.  They go out to recess right from lunch so we get 40 minutes duty-free for our own lunch.

12:45 - I pick up my students from the playground and walk them back to the classroom.  We complete our fluency passage during this time. 

1:05 - Afternoon restroom break. {One of my least favorite parts of the day.  I highly dislike restroom breaks anyways, but the afternoon one is so much worse!}

1:15 - Math - We do Everyday Math.  Some days I love it, other days I'm not the biggest fan.

1:55 - It's time to clean up the classroom and get our things to go.  It's not dismissal yet, but on Wednesday's and Friday's we have a special from 2:00 - 2:40 so we take our backpacks and coats with us.  I pass out their SAFARI folders and we fill out our behavior charts.

2:00 - 2:40 - My students are in PE, so I hog use the copy machine to make all of my copies for next week.  Then I come back to the my room, organize my copies and continue working on my report cards, which were due on Friday.  It's amazing how fast 40 minutes can go!

2:40 - I go and pick up my students from PE and we walk outside for dismissal.  I wait until all of my students have either walked home or are out at the car rider line. {We rotate Car Duty and I didn't have it this week, so I head back inside about 2:50.}

3:00 - I check my mailbox, clean up my room and start working on my lesson plans for next week. 

3:10 - I grab my bag with my workout clothes and head to the restroom to change.  We are allowed to leave at 3:15, which I don't do very often, but this week I did, so I could go workout at 3:30 instead of 4:30.

3:15 - I grab my things to go, so I can head to Crossfit.



This video is not from our gym, but when I had first heard of Crossfit and wanted to Google it, this was the video that I found and I knew I just had to do it!  Thank God I did because it has been my serious obsession since September.  It is AWESOME!!

3:30 - 4:20 - Crossfit - Our workout today was 20 Wall Balls and 20 Toe to Bars.  It's different every day.  We climbed ropes on Tuesday and I have a h-u-g-e rope burn on the bottom of my leg.

4:30 - Pick up my girls from daycare and head home.

4:45 - Get the girls in their leotards for gymnastics.  My husband gets home about 5:15 and we run out the door to get to gymnastics by 5:30.

5:30 - 6:30  I do the Parent and Tot class with my youngest, while my oldest has her regular gymnastics class.  They love it!

6:45 We head home and throw a frozen pizza in the oven so we can eat dinner before it gets too late. {Most nights I actually cook dinner, but Wednesday's are so rushed that it's usuall either frozen pizza, Fazoli's, or Qdoba.}

7:30 - Start  the whole bedtime routine.  Brush teeth, put on pj's, read books, say prayers, set out clothes for tomorrow.  We lay the kids down about 8:00.

8:00 - At this point, I take out my contacts, put on my comfy clothes, and head downstairs to watch TV with my hubby, while I blogstalk and work on the computer. 

10:00 - Head upstairs for bed.

So, there's a day in my shoes :)  Sorry, if you were bored.

10 comments:

Kristin said...

That day is packed!!! Wowza!
Fazolis!!! We used to have one but not anymore.
I have never heard of Crossfit but it looks really hard!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

I need to get some more motivation going...after school, all I want to do is rest! lol
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Mrs.LaSota's Blog said...

Oh my goodness!!!

I must stop complaining about my day after reading yours! My husband and I don't have kids. I do not know how people with kids do it!

I hit snooze usually about 10 times and roll out of bed with just enough time to get ready in the morning. There is no time for computer/ blog stalking etc! I guess I do usually get to work 2 hours early but WOWZA! Girl you need a massage! :)

Mrs. Cupcake said...

What a day! I wish I got to bed at 10... most nights I'm up until 12 or later :(

A Cupcake for the Teacher

Katie said...

I need to be so much better about making myself go to bed earlier! I love the things that you do in your classroom! You make me want to teach 1st grade!

Thanks for linking up!
Miss Klohn
Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

Melissa, DillyDabbles said...

I love all of the pictures you included in your day post

DillyDabbles

JLA said...

I read your posts weekly and absolutely love them! I am a 4th year teacher, but this is my first year teaching the first grade and your ideas are fabulous! I loved reading your daily schedule, especially because you are a crossfitter! I also do crossfit in New Jersey and after a full day with 27 first graders and then completing a WOD takes alot of motivation, but I don't have any kids so I admire that you can teach, crossfit, and take care of your family!

Annie Moffatt said...

Jodi...you are such an encouragement! You always leave the nicest comments:) I must say, I am totally exhausted after reading your day!! AND THEN YOU WORK OUT!! I thought teaching was a work out!? WOW! I guess I have no more excuses:)

Patty Strong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty Strong said...

I really enjoyed reading about your routine!! It shows that if you are organized (and go to bed early) you can do a LOT of things in one day!! :)

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...