Thursday, January 19, 2012

Science Journal and Contractions

In the past, I have been SO focused on reading, writing, and math, that I just kind of let science and social studies get pushed on the back burner, even though I LOVE teaching these.  The last couple of years, I have gotten much better at making sure I am incorporating science and social studies into my other areas.  Once you start throwing in science activities during reading time, it becomes much easier to fit it all in.  This year, after seeing so many great science experiments on Pinterest, I knew we had to start doing them in our classroom.  Cara from The First Grade Parade had a great post about science and weekly experiments. 
I created this Science Journal Packet to do with my students.
This packet includes a "My Science Journal."
We use this journal to keep track of our experiments.  We record each part of the Scientific Method.  Here is a sample image of the packet that you can find on TpT and Teachers Notebook.

The entire packet includes the Science Journal, six anchor charts to teach the Scientific Method, and two other pages to teach about scientists.  This packet does not include science experiments.  I have found most of my ideas for those on Pinterest.
You can check it out by clicking below.



On another note, I'm sure you've seen the idea for Contraction Surgery.  I had seen it last year, but was reminded by the wonderful Cara.  Her artistic skills are to die for.  Just check out her bulletin board.
This picture is from The First Grade Parade Blog
 So, anyways, I did this lesson with my students today.  We started out by reviewing contractions and filling in this chart.
Not nearly as artistic!

After that, I passed out a recording sheet to each student.  I had typed the name of our school at the top and each person's name {example, Dr. John Doe} onto the top.  Click on the picture below to download. 
Next, I passed out a mask, gloves, bandaids, and a name tag to each student.
They also each got their own set of words.  Click HERE to download. 
They looked so darn cute and LOVED it!

I definitely recommend this lesson!  It was so much fun.  My students wanted to wear their masks all day.  Some even walked out of the building at the end of the day with them on.  They got some strange looks from the 5th graders :)

13 comments:

Beth said...

I absolutely can't wait to do this with my kids. They are going to love it. The downloads are great, especially the editable page. Thanks so much!

Kinderpond said...

This looks awesome!!!


Jennifer

Kristin said...

Love the Science stuff - definitely checking it out!
And I have to do this contractions lesson. I think contractions will really stick!!!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Mrs. Mac said...

Very cute idea! :)Those looked like bandaids for the apostrophe, yes? LOVE it. Lisa First Class with Mrs. Mac

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

I am going to have to use this idea for contractions next time! Love it!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

How cute and organized are you!! The hospital sheet you've made is adorable!! Im onmy way to check out your notebook now! Soooooo cute!

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing the great contraction activities! Love your Science ideas too.

Lori said...

Love the contraction surgery!! How fun!
Lori
http://www.conversationsinliteracy.blogspot.com/

Erika said...

Did you get someone to donate the masks, gloves, etc.?

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Hilary Lewis said...

We had contraction surgery in our class this week! I wrote a post and included your great ideas and sent you a link back. I'd love for you to check it out!
Hilary
Rockin' Teacher Materials

Raina said...

Where did you get the masks? I love that idea!

Elizabeth Pruyn said...

Hi there, I did your contraction project today and my kidlets LOVED it. Thanks so much for sharing!

jarrodanddevinmoore said...

My students performed contraction surgery last year and LOVED it! Your recording sheet is great! I will definitely use that next year. I also loved the cute touch of the name label with their doctor name...too cute! Thanks for the great ideas and freebies!!

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...