Thursday, January 12, 2012

Skills Checklist

As a parent, I love to know what my child is working on in school.  Whenever I ask my 4 year old what she did at school today, she always says the same thing, "We played at recess and had snack."  I have to say, "Well, I heard that you read Tacky the Penguin today." before she'll remember that she did something else at school.   I started thinking that I'm sure my 1st graders aren't telling their parents all the skills they are working on at school either, so I created this skills checklist to send home each week.
I fill it in with 4 new skills for each week.  They may be something new that we are working on during the week or it may be something that I think every child in my class should know at this point in the year.  I have also put behavior or work study skills in the boxes as well.  After filling in the four skills, I type some tips for parents to help their child at the bottom of the form.  I print these off and circle how each child is doing at each skill.
Clear as mud, right?!
The picture above is an example of one that I have already typed up the skills and parent tips.  Here is a form for you to use.  It's free on TpT.  I couldn't get it to download correctly on Google Docs.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me. 

9 comments:

Andi said...

This is great! I bet your student's parents really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for sharing.
~Andi

Chrissy said...

Terrific idea! I'm planning to work on a detailed expectation list for 2nd quarter report cards. Thanks for giving my brain a head start!

ReadWriteSing

Sarah Paul said...

Thanks! I need something like this.
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Ms. Martin and Friends said...

Thank you so much! Very useful!

Jennifer said...

What a FABULOUS idea! Thank you for sharing this!
Rowdy in First Grade

Delaney White said...

Thanks for sharing this...I know my parents would love this!

Lisa at Stories From Second said...

What a great idea! I love it, I'm always looking for ways to improve my communication with the parents of my kiddos. :)
Lisa
Stories From Second

Mrs. Dane said...

I read your blog all the time and I have stolen an idea here and there because they are great! However they are often things I had not considered doing before I read your blog. I have been pondering how I wanted to set up more frequent progress reports without it being too time consuming for me or the parents for weeks now - this idea is perfect! Thank you for ending my internal debate!!

Jenn Long said...

Whoa! Thanks for sharing! I love it!
Jenn
A Pirates Life for Us

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...