Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fairy Tales

This week in our reading series, we studied Fairy Tales.  We talked a lot about problem and solution and read a ton of fairy tales.  At first, my boys weren't very excited about this unit of study.  {This made it a little difficult since I have 14 boys and 7 girls.  Unlike last year, where I only had 3 boys by the end of the year.  There is definitely a different dynamic in the classroom this year in comparison to last.  Not bad, just different.}  The second day, we read Jack and the Beanstalk and the boys loved this one.  After that, they were hooked and couldn't wait to hear more fairy tales.
Anyways, yesterday, I had my students do a fun writing project.  I had a different version for the boys and girls. Just click on either picture to download for free.



The girls pretty much said they would use their hair as a ladder or they would yell for a prince to help them.  The boys responses definitely varied.  Some said they would rescue them or use a ladder.  However, one said "I would leave the princess there for a couple of days and then I might go and rescue her." Lol!
Then the boys made themselves into prince's and the girls into Rapunzel.

They loved it and they turned out so cute.  You can download the patterns by clicking HERE
Here are some pictures of our bulletin board.  The lighting and picture quality from my phone is horrible.  Sorry :(

If you download this, I'd love to hear from you :)

26 comments:

kimcollatos said...

so cute :)

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

What a fun idea!! :)

Karen LeBlanc said...

What fun! I'm doing a fairy tales unit in the spring and Rapunzel is one of my favorites. Thanks for the freebie!

Sarah Paul said...

Perfect timing! We're starting fairy tales next month. What a cute idea! I pinned it too. :) Thanks for sharing this as a freebie!
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Mrs. S. said...

Marvelous! We study genres including fairy tales. :)

Melly<><

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

LOVE IT! We are just getting to fairy tales so this is perfect :) The craftivity is adorable by the way, such a cute hallway display :) Thanks for the great freebie!

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Busy Bees said...

Cute fairy tales stuff...gonna have to add this to my collection. Thanks~
Robynn
BusyBees

Emily said...

This is fabulous!

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

Kristin said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! SO adorable!!!
I had a class once of 17 girls and 3 boys ALL YEAR. It was the best year ever -- quiet, clean, organized, etc! This year I have 17 boys and 12 girls. But it's all good. The boys are super sweet!! I have more drama with the girls. :)
Thanks for sharing!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Love those...so cute!
Jennifer

First Grade Blue SKies

Lori said...

Very cute ideas! Makes a great display!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Jenn Bates said...

SO cute! Thanks for a terrific freebie! I have more boys this year and it does totally change the dynamic.
Jenn
Finally in First

Linda said...

So cute! I love it!

Rebecca and Katie said...

This is such a cute idea! My girls are completely obsessed with Tangled - so I think their responses would also surround long hair!

Thanks for sharing!

~ Katie
First Grade ABCs

Susie Q said...

These are adorable!

PattyJ said...

I love teaching fairy tales and this was such a cute and creative idea!!! Thanks so much!!!

Andrea said...

So cute! My kids would love this! :)

Andrea
Stepping Into First Grade

Room 114 said...

I have more boys than girls too, so this will be perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

Lisa

Stories from Room 114

Kristin Young said...

That is adorable!!! Can't wait to try it. :) And I'm in the same boat...literally twice as many boys as girls. Sheesh!

Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

Melissa said...

I LOVE this idea! So creative! thanks for posting the pattern for us!

Mrs.Cook said...

These are so cute!

Ashley

http://firstgradesmartcookies.blogspot.com

Sarah Paul said...

If you're looking for more fairy tale ideas, I just uploaded my fairy tales unit. I'll also be posting some more freebies.
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

aranuiroom7 said...

Hey - love the Rapunzel Idea! Have downloaded and will try with my new entrant (kindergarten) class here in NZ!

Victoria Long said...

I just wanted to point out the blatant sexism in your princess trapped in tower/prince rescuing princess from tower- writing exercise. I teach Kindergarten Prep for 4 and 5 years old and it is important to me not to instill them with sexist values. Maybe you could make both options available to your students. Option A. If I were trapped in a tower I would.. Option B. If I saw someone trapped in a tower I would...
Just thought I would mention it.

Fern Smith said...

I ♥love fairy tales, they let children use their imagination and think outside the box. Your activities are wonderful!
~Fern
Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

Miss Squirrels said...

You make me miss first so much!! I am sending this link to all the first grade teachers in my building so I can live vicariously through them!!
Love it!!
squirrels

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...