Friday, February 17, 2012

President's Day and March Poems and Songs

I love February because there are so many fun topics to teach this month.  One of my favorite topics is teaching about President's Day.  We have been busy this week learning all about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
After reading some books about Washington, we created this anchor chart together.
The students made these George Washington's and wrote some facts.

These are some of our favorite George Washington books.


Next, we began learning about Abraham Lincoln.  We created this anchor chart together.
The students filled out their own sheet.  Click on the picture to download.


The students created these hats to write about Abraham Lincoln.

Last year, we made log cabins out of pretzels.  We just haven't had time to do this yet.  Maybe next week.
These are some of our favorite Abraham Lincoln books.



I also created this President Fact Sort that my students will complete next week.  Students will trace Washington and Lincoln's profile onto red and blue paper.  They can glue them onto a large white sheet of paper.  Next, the students will cut out the facts and glue them onto the correct president.
Click HERE for the sort.

I also wanted to let you know that I have uploaded my March Poems and Songs to TpT and Teachers Notebook.


This packet includes 9 original poems/songs, illustrate the poem pages, and word cards or each poem.  You can check it out by clicking below.  Have a GREAT weekend!!


17 comments:

Mrs. Cupcake said...

Looks like your littles had fun learning about the Presidents!!
❤Teri

A Cupcake for the Teacher

vicky1970 said...

Hi Jodi - I'm your newest follower! Love your president stuff. Stop by my blog I posted a really cute Abe Lincoln project you might like. I am a new blogger and would love your input. :o)
~ Vicky
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After
http://www.vickymoore2.com

Kristin said...

Love the crafts - so cute! And your anchor charts look great!! :)
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

meadowt said...

Hi Jodi, I love the facts sort you created!! I am going to use it next week,thanks for sharing. I would love for you to stop by my blog,if you get a chance. I have a American Symbols book that my sister and I created to teach the symbols next week, its a freebie. BTW I am your newest follower!!
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Jenn Long said...

Love Abraham Lincoln's Log Cabin!
Jenn

A Pirates Life for Us

Tricia said...

I love the log cabin and the fact sort.

Tricia
Queen with Class

Doodle Bugs Paper said...

i love your george washington craft!!

Rebecca and Katie said...

Jodi! I just found your blog and absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing your great ideas on President's Day! Love them!

I am your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my blog. I teach 1st grade with my bestie and now we are blogging buddies! Hope we can share some great things with you!

Katie
First Grade ABCs

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Love using the coffee filter for the collar on George...How smart!! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Lori said...

These president activities are great! Love the charts!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

laura said...

thanks for the freebie.. i appreicate that you shared it.
laura

LYNDSEY said...

Oh my goodness! I love this post. Too cute. I especially love the cottonball hair.

I'm your newest follower! Come check out my blog.

Lyndsey

A Year of Many Firsts

Sarah Paul said...

This is such a great post! I pinned it. :) Thanks for the great ideas.

Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Mrs. Hodson said...

I love that Abe Hat writing! Just might have to borrow that idea! Thanks for sharing!

Heather Dennis said...

Thanks for sharing your neat President's Day activities!!
~Heather
http://1stgraderockss.blogspot.com/

Kim Simon said...

This blog is great source of information about Saint Patrick’s Day which is very useful for me. It very important information about Saint Patrick’s Day
Thank you very much for this useful information.

BEST COLLECTION OF SAINT PATRICKS DAY POEMS.

John said...

This blog is great source of information about Saint Patrick’s Day which is very useful for me. It very important information about Saint Patrick’s Day
Thank you very much for this useful information.

Thanks for this great information.

AMAZING SAINT PATRICKS DAY VERSES.

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...