Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Communication Folders

Do you use a Communication Folder in your classroom?  I began using one two years ago and I LOVE IT!  It's a great way to keep your students organized and to make sure you are in constant contact with the parents. 
Last year, our school wide theme was space, so I created this SPACE book.
 
Here are some pictures of my binders from last year.
I used 3 ring binders last year and they lasted the entire year.  Each week, I put in our new spelling words and weekly focus.  This stays in the binder throughout the week.  I replace it on Monday.

 
I place the student's homework in the folder and they return it the next morning back in the folder.  There is also a section of lined paper so if the parents need to write a note or I need to write to them, we know exactly where to look. {Not pictured}
 
 In the front of each binder, I place a pencil case.  This is for lunch money or important items that need to get to school safely.
 
The year before last, I used this SAFARI book for our jungle theme.
 
This year our theme is Hollywood, so fortunately I already have this STAR book made for this school year.
 
Each communication book includes:
-Cover sheet
- "What is a ______ book? and Rules page
- Contact Information and Daily Schedule
- Letter to Families
- Contract
- Spelling Word Sheet
- Math Review Sheet
- Sight Word Lists
- Weekly Focus Page
- Labels for Folders
- ABC's of ____ grade list
Almost all of the pages can be edited to fit your needs.
 
There are many more themes available.
 


















 
My most recent communication binder I finished is this FROG book.
 
Are there any other themes you would like to see?  Let me know.
Also, don't forget to enter the giveaway for my entire year of Morning Work.
 
 


20 comments:

Mrs. Hennessy said...

I love this idea!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to try and implement it this year!!!! I am also doing the Hollywood Theme (2nd year in a row-love it!)!!!!

Mrs. Katzman's Kinder Cubs said...

I love these folders. I am doing an Enchanted Garden/Once Upon a Time/Fairy theme. I would love to see something in this theme.

jillm473 said...

I love these!!! I used to do the FROG binders.... Is there any way that you could make some with a racing theme???? If so let me know so I can purchase them! Thanks
My email is jillaysenne@gmail.com

tgreene2nd said...

Do you have one using zebra

Julie Martinchick said...

What about a "chick" book? That would be perfect for me!!

Ashley said...

I've used a folder like this for the past 3 years I think. One year it was the SPACE book. Then it turned into the GO folder (Get Organized-we had a team theme that year at school) & last year it stayed the GO folder (we had a construction theme, that was tough). Anyways, I use a plastic 3 pronged folder but have long debated the binder. Binders just get so darn expensive! Have you ever used the 3 pronged folder? If so, how'd you like it?

JT said...

First off, gotta say, LOVE the blog. I like the communication binders. I use 3 prong plastic folders with my kids and stick a lot of things in sheet protectors. We call it the BEE folder. But I like all of the different acronyms you found! So great to have all in one place!

I recently kickstarted my first grade blog as well. No where near as impressive as yours, but it's a start (well, restart actually)! Stop by anytime. I love visitors and comments too! =)

-Jenn-
hnsfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I LOVE these communication books! I used SPACE folders last year (our PTO fortunately got us 2-pocket folders that had a clear pocket in the front and back-just like a binder-and the inside pockets were labeled "KEEP AT HOME" and "BACK TO SCHOOL") but your designs are much cuter! However, before I buy your product do you have a picture or preview of what the Classroom ABC's looks like? I've been thinking about writing my own this summer and I'd like to see yours before I buy. My email is saustin614@gmail.com. Thank you so much!
~Sarah

scrappyshan said...

My theme this year is ladybugs. I would love to have something along that line if possible. Thanks for all your hard work! I love your items and blog!

Jeanna Norman said...

Your ideas are BRILLIANT!! I also use a communication folder (3 prong plastic) but will definitely be upgrading this year! I love the idea of a pencil case in the front for important notes and things. I can't tell you how many times my students have forgotten their lunch money in their bookbags! :(. I also like the fact that you keep their spelling lists and such inside the folder. I send home a weekly newsletter with all of our focus information in it, but I think I'll add pages like this as well so that everything is in one place!

I love following your blog! You inspired me to start my own!! I hope to motivate other teachers the way that you've motivated me. Stop by and check it out sometime :)
-Jeanna
theteacherstrade.blogspot.com

randy said...

those are nice folders.

check here Gadgets

Magda,la seño del "arco iris" said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kbeckk said...

Can you make one for LEAD??

Kimberly said...

I love the communication folder. I used something similar to it last year. My classroom theme is the beach. Do you have a beach theme cover? Thank you for all that you do!

cwhaccent said...

I am always so impressed with your creativity and boundless energy. I can't believe how many communication folder ideas you have come up with. If I have any first graders for tutoring this year, I plan to download your reading units. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

Tracy Clouse said...

Wow, I am so impressed with how many books you have.. I just love the jungle theme. It's on my wish list among other things to purchase. You have such wonderful ideas. I plan on purchasing a few when I start getting paid again...

Brittany Jones said...

These are SO great!! Do you have the weekly focus page available? We do something similiar but yours looks so much nicer!
Thanks
Brittany (brittany.jones@ocps.net)

Jodi said...

The weekly focus page is in each of the Communication Folder downloads :)

Dru said...

I would love to use your folder again this coming year. Do you think that you can make one for a beach, Sand, or Aloha Theme? I loved using the Pirate themed folder for two years.

sunteach said...

My classroom theme is sunflowers/blooming. Do you have any that would fit with this? Your ideas are fabulous!

Post a Comment

I {heart} comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...